Monday, October 15, 2012

Teaching Journal: Weeks 6 & 7

It's been a busy time on campus! We are now officially half way through the semester and the first major project is finally complete!

Week 6 was the wrap up of project 1 and the start of project 2--I was worried this might not work out very well, but my students did an excellent job staying on top of everything. All project one's were turned in on time and I am in the process of grading them now. Additionally, at the same time they were handing in project one, they also needed to write and present their literacy narrative. Each member of the class produced short, one page vignettes which they read out loud.

Between week 6 and 7, students completed their "self study" interview (460-461 Writing About Writing), which would be used as "data" within their project 2 groups.

Week 7 went a lot better than I expected. I was very concerned that project two would be a disaster for my class--it has been difficult explaining the collaborative, multi-modal concept, but after we went over it again on Monday and they had time to talk with their group members and go over data, they had a better grasp on it. Wednesday and Friday showed everyone moving closer and closer towards realizing project 2--by the end of the week, I was receiving excellent group work detailing concepts, questions/arguments, possible conceptual ideas, as well a defined roles for group members.

While project two has been going on, I have been having one on one conferences with students--handing back project one, going over minor work, attendance, and asking questions, etc. These have been great since it gives me the opportunity to get to know my students even more--plus, I think one on one time is good for students, they get to talk to someone who really cares about them--even if it is only a few minutes, I see my students walking away from those meetings feeling a lot better in general :)

It is now the start of week 8! It always surprises me how fast semesters go by! I am looking forward to seeing how much further my students have got in their projects, so hopefully, I will be report more good things next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment