Sunday, September 9, 2012

Reading Response: Allen

Author/Title:

Sarah Allen: The Inspired Writer vs. The Real Writer

Apparatus Sample Questions:

Getting Ready to Read:

"So you believe everyday I skip gleefully to my computer," says Allen (p.29). When you think of professional writers or scholars, what do you believe their writing process looks like? Do you perceive their experiences as easy? Why or why not?

First, I love the quote from Allen above--and I think it represents a stereotype of "real writers," that somehow, they get up everyday and just write, happily, productively, easily. I am under no illusion that this actually happens and I imagine, more often than not, their (the "real writers") process looks a lot like the rest of us "not-really-but-kind-of-trying-to-be-real-writers" processes, as in, you stare at your computer screen, your research, your outlines, your character drafts, and bemoan your fate as a writer with nothing to say. So no, I do not perceive "their" experiences as easy, because it is not easy for me, so how dare it be easy for them.

Applying and Exploring Ideas:

Have you ever used the method of imitation (p32) within your writing? Why was this your approach at the time and under what circumstances would this be appropriate?

I could not have related to Allen more. The details she gives us of her years as a Literature student could be about me. I came to the program from a different discipline, I had no concept of the vocabulary, cannon, theory, and all the little inside secrets everyone else seemed to know and understand. After writing a few papers, I realized that even through my papers were well received, they were missing something--so I began to look at the writing of other writings and many of my subsequent papers mirrored their style, structure, and organization. And I still do this from time to time, if I begin work on a form of paper, research, or essay I am not familiar with, first I research what that paper looks like and find a sample I can work of off in order to create a stronger, more organized piece of writing. I think it is entirely appropriate to do this when ever a writer needs to--this is one way of learning how to write and it works well for some people.

Questions for Discussion and Journaling:

Why does Allen pose the myth of the inspired writer? How does she say this affects students? And what is the reality of the inspired writer?

I love the myth of the "Inspired Writer." I think Allen not only constructs it well, but using it very well through out her essay, giving us a nice frame to touch. I think Allen was really searching for a way to express this idea that there are a group of writers (the scholar, the professional, etc) who can just write and write and everything is wonderful and no one makes mistakes or ever fails, and it is this image students are attempting to live up to--and it's impossible! It's like a women trying to live up to the beauty standards of a a super model, it is just unrealistic. And of course, it is no surprise the effect of this image on students becomes very negative for them--the feeling of failure becomes overwhelming. Allen does a nice job of addressing the unreality of the "Inspired Writer," and coming back to that community feeling of "we're all in this together!" Definitely a nice piece for students (and for me!) to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment