Saturday, September 15, 2012

Teaching Journal: Week 3

Hello hello! Well, I just ended week three, and I am pleased to say, all ships are sailing smoothly! I know these entries are the place where I am supposed to complain about how awful my students are, and how no one is doing anything, and blah, blah, blah--but we are having a great time in the classroom! This week again showed near 100% attendance, and only a few students missed turning in assignments.

On Monday we watched the documentary Killing Us Softly: 3 and had a fantastic discussion that incorporated the Berger article and our work the week before with Foxy Shazam. Students created new syntheses out the work/class time for that day.

Wednesday we focused on Allen. In small groups they picked out 5 key concepts or ideas (close reading) from the piece, wrote them on the board and then each group explained (analyses) why they chose these specific concepts. Then we discussed as a whole group. My students got a big pep talk about what great scholars they already were and how they can use the strategies they learn in class for their own research and writing.

Friday was presentation day!!! Students read Elbow, Lamont, King, and Diaz and then wrote a two paragraph response (using the meta moments at the end of that chapter...chapter 2 I think?) Everyone had to come to class prepared to read--through this activity they gained audience awareness, writing for an audience (besides their teacher), reading and presentation practice, and by the time everyone had read their responses, all four articles were clearly addressed and discussed. The students also got to pick out the similarities and differences in voice, writing styles, and analysis. I also bribed them with sugary treats, so you know, they were pretty happy to do it, and no one had to stand up in front of everyone either--it was a very safe and supportive environment--we formed a circle and everyone took turns reading from their seat, when they were done, we all clapped for them and then a big clap for everyone at the end.

I really am having a great time with my students, I look forward to seeing them, they put a huge smile on my face everyday--even when I am angry, depressed, or feeling shutdown. They are just as supportive of me as I am of them and they are conscious of their peers--many of them are already making little groups of friends *squee* it really is a wonderful place <3

Looking forward to next week where we march towards the paper deadlines!

<3

1 comment:

  1. Your class does sound like a small utopia and what you are having them do is working well. I like the presentation class day and your positive feelings about the students, who seem to deserve it! The journal can accomodate positive and negative--yours so far is all pos.

    ReplyDelete